The TV is nowadays a very important factor in our everyday life, the people watching more TV than ever before. Recent studies show that the average time spent by members of a U.S. household in front of the TV is around eight hours. The TV shows usually attract more viewers than any other programs, and the most successful TV shows always register high peaks of viewing rate.
Taking into consideration the audience share, popularity and their importance in the world of television the top ten TV shows of all time are:
1. Seinfeld (NBC) – television sitcom aired from July 1989, to May 1998. Main characters are Jerry Seinfeld, George Costanza, Elaine Benes and Cosmo Kramer.
2. All in the Family (CBS) – aired from 1971 to 1979 and featuring characters such as Archie Bunker, Edith Bunker, Gloria Bunker Stivic and Michael Stivic.
3. I Love Lucy (CBS) – the famous sitcom was aired from October 1951 to May 1957. The black and white TV show introduced characters like Lucille Esmeralda “Lucy” McGillicuddy Ricardo, Enrique Alberto “Ricky” Ricardo, Ethel Mae Roberta Louise Potter Mertz and Frederick “Fred” Hobart Edie Mertz.
4. The Honeymooners (CBS) – comedy show, broadcasted from October 1955 to September 1956. Ralph Kramden, Alice Kramden, Edward “Ed” Lillywhite Norton and Thelma “Trixie” Norton are the main characters of the TV show.
5. The Sopranos (HBO) – the drama series run from January 1999 to June 2007. Main characters included Tony Soprano, Dr. Jennifer Melfi, Carmela Soprano and Silvio Dante.
6. Late Show with David Letterman (NBC and CBS) – the talk-show hosted by David Letterman run from 1982 to 1933 at NBC, and since in August 1993 is broadcast by CBS.
7. 60 Minutes (CBS) – news magazine based on investigations. It was launched in September 1968 and is still running.
8. The Simpsons (Fox) – is the most famous animated sitcom. The first episode was broadcast in December 1989 and the TV show still runs.
9. Saturday Night Live (NBC) – is a sketch comedy and a variety show. The first of the nearly 700 episodes was broadcast in October 1975.
10. The Andy Griffith Show (CBS) – the sitcom run from October 1960 (1960-10-03) to April 1968. Main characters: Andy Griffith, Barney Fife, Aunt Bee and Opie.