The 19th World Cup edition is about to begin. This year the host country will be South Africa. The fans are already excited and the players can’t wait to get there. Everyone tries to anticipate what will happen, who will defeat who and most important who will win the trophy. All fans put their hopes in players like Messi, Cristiano Ronado or Kaka, hoping to bring the most wanted title to their country.
Over the years the World Cup competition was the best place to notice exceptional players that set new records. These are just some of them:
- Lothar Matthaeus is the player with most tournament participations: 5 editions (1982, 1986, 1990, 1994 and 1998) and the player with the most World Cup matches: 25 matches;
- Ronaldo holds the record of the most goals scored at World Cup: 15 in 19 matches in 1998, 2002 and 2006;
- Oleg Salenko is the player with most goals in one match: 5 goals in the Russia – Cameroon match from1994;
- Hakan Sukur scored the fastest goal in 2002 in the match against South Korea in just 10.8 seconds;
- Edu is the youngest players ever to play at a World Cup tournament at the age of 16 in 1966;
- Roger Milla played in 1994 World Cup at the age of 42, being the oldest player ever to participate at this competition.