The tourism is one of the most affected industries by the global financial crisis. The number of tourists and the money collected were both decreased comparing to the previous years.
However, there are some destinations that will always attract a large number of tourists. Among these destinations we can find the top ten most visited cities in the world.
10. Shanghai, China attracts more than 6 million tourists each year. Dating back from the 6th century, Shanghai has now a population of more than 19 million people, being the most crowded city of China.
9. Dubai, United Arab Emirates, is the most visited destination in Middle East with 6.80 million tourists per year. First mentioned in 1095, Dubai is now a model of development among Middle East countries.
8. Istanbul, Turkey, is a historical city that attracts 7.5 million tourists each year. Istanbul is the only city in the world standing on two continents, Europe and Asia.
7. Bangkok, capital city of Thailand, attracts nearly 8.5 million tourists each year with thousands of temples and notorious pleasure houses.
6. New York City is the most crowded and largest city in United States. The Statue of Liberty, Broadway and Wall Street are just few of the city’s attractions that bring around 8.7 million tourists each year.
5. Hong Kong is the most visited Chinese city welcoming more than 8.9 million tourists every year. Hong Kong is a special administrative region of China famous for the incredible skyline.
4. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, holds the tallest twin buildings in the world, Petronas Twin Towers. This fast growing city attracts more than 9 million tourists per year.
3. Singapore, the small island country is one of the largest financial centers in the world. 9.7 million tourists visit the city every year.
2. London, United Kingdom, held the title of the most visited city in the world for few years. In 2010 14.1 million people visited the Tower of London, Palace of Westminster, Westminster Abbey and the Buckingham Palace.
1. Paris, France, is the most visited city in the world. More than 16 million foreign tourists visit it each year. The most famous landmark of Paris is the Eiffel Tower.